Portable lighted runway closure marker
The portable lighted runway closure marker represents a modern and efficient method to warn pilots of closed runways and taxiways. It is primarily used in bad weather conditions to mark the closure of the airport runway due to its maintenance or snow removal.
The portable lighted runway closure marker is mounted on a trailer. That is why this mobile device can be quickly transported to the desired location. The closure marker construction allows its assembling or disassembling within 5 minutes by one person.The portable lighted runway closure marker is equipped with 13 LED lights that automatically switch between day and night light intensity.The arm length of the portable lighted runway closure marker is 4.26 meters.The diesel engine ensures electrical power for 120 hours of continuous operation on a single tank of fuel.
All these key features make the portable lighted runway closure marker a device enabling flexibility and a quick reaction to changes in air traffic operations.
Key features of the portable lighted runway closure marker
- 1Visibility - the portable lighted runway closure marker is clearly visible from a distance of 5 to 8 km at day, and minimally from a distance of 9.7 km at night.
- 2Dimensions - each light cross arm measures 4.26 meters in length.
- 3Mobility - the X‑marker trailer is easy to transport to the desired location on the airport runway.
- 413 LED lights – the lamps flash 2.5 seconds on, 2.5 seconds off. Light intensity: 79,560 cd.
- 53 light modes - the portable lighted runway closure marker can be operated in three modes (Day, Night, AUTO) - automatic dimming for night operation is possible.
- 6Easy and quick installation within 5 minutes - it takes one person 5 min to assemble or disassemble the portable lighted runway closure marker.
- 7120 hours of independent operation - the diesel engine provides electrical power for 120 hours of continuous operation on a single tank of fuel.
- 8Backup power source – the emergency battery continues to power lights for 2 hours.
- 9Possibility to transport 2 portable lighted runway closure markers simultaneously - proper marking of a closed runway requires marking with lighted closure markers at both the beginning and the end of the runways or taxiways. To reduce the transportation costs and time to the desired site, we designed the portable lighted runway closure marker so that it is possible to join 2 crosses together.
The portable lighted runway closure marker meets all FAA requirements such as:
- Operating temperature -40 °C to +55 °C
- Humidity 95 % RAH (at +55 °C)
- Wind resistance up to 65 km/h (without significantly affecting the position of the marker)16.01.2024
The portable lighted runway closure markers are equipped with 13 LED lights of the required luminous intensity. They are painted in yellow aviation paint according to CS ADR-DSN.U.935
The portable lighted runway closure marker consists of 13 LED lights (3 pcs on each arm, 1 pc in the cross middle). The lights alternately flash at intervals of 2,5 seconds.
The emitted color is "white" according to CS ADR-DSN.U.930.
The power of the LED lights must ensure clear visibility of the portable lighted runway closure marker at a distance of 5 to 8 km at day and at least 9.7 km at night.
Three Light Modes
The LED lights can operate in one of 3 modes:
- Day mode - the lights flash at the intensity required for daytime operation
- Night mode - the lights flash at the intensity required for night operation
- AUTO mode - the light sensor automatically adjusts the intensity of the lights according to outdoor light conditions
|At the beam center
|Within a radius of 10O
|Within a radius of 15O
All electrical components are designed to be weatherproof.
The main power source of the portable lighted runway closure marker is a diesel engine with a 120-liter tank capacity. It can provide electrical power for 120 hours of continuous operation on a single tank of fuel.
In the event of a diesel generator failure, the power supply is temporarily provided by an additional LiFePO4 battery (24 V / 54 Ah) (min. 120-min operation - guaranteed). A diesel generator failure is indicated by an outdoor warning beacon (it lights up in orange).
In the event of a flasher failure, the lights will remain on.
Do you want to try our portable lighted runway closure marker?
Deployment of the portable lighted runway closure marker by one person in 5 minutes!
The portable lighted runway closure marker enables easy assembly and disassembly by one person within 5 minutes. After placing the light cross in the desired place, the trailer must be secured with outriggers. After unlocking the latches, deploy the individual cross arms to a full length of 4.26 m. Then raise the cross to a vertical position using a manual winch. Its position is adjustable up to an angle of 5° from the vertical. The last step consists in starting the diesel engine and activating the lights.
The trailer consists of a 2.5 x 1.6 m steel frame and two R13 tubeless tires. It is equipped with a standard trailer coupling, enabling connection, e.g., to a tow car.
On the trailer, there is the portable lighted runway closure marker incl. the diesel engine and the backup car battery.
Possibility to transport two portable lighted runway closure markers
In case of deteriorating weather conditions, the airport runway must be closed quickly. A closed runway is required to be marked at both ends! To minimize the transportation time of the portable lighted runway closure marker, we made it so that two independent units could be transported at the same time.